During lent, Catholics are not allowed to eat meat on Fridays. This is often referred to as “Good Friday,” although the actual day for
As a result, many churches offer fish fries on Fridays. If you’ve ever been to one, you know that the food served includes fried fish, mashed potatoes or
However, you don’t have to throw your diet out the window this Lent. In this guide, we’ll provide some healthy vegetarian options to try on Good Friday.
Healthy Ways To Enjoy Fish On Good Friday
This year, skip the fish fries at your local church and make your own fish at home instead. Oh, you’re bored with eating fish? No problem! There are plenty of preparations you can do to switch things up each Friday.
In addition to tasting good, they provide a wide variety of health benefits. Here are some you can try on your fish this Good
- Mustard seeds
- Black pepper
Go Vegetarian This Good Friday!
Along with finding fun new ways to prepare fish, try incorporating a few vegetarian meals into your Good Friday. Doing so has numerous health benefits.
A 2018 study found that vegetarians tend to have a lower risk of unhealthy body fat percentage and abdominal obesity. The study also confirms that, for the most part, vegetarians consume sufficient calories, as do non-vegetarians.
Here are some
Mushrooms are an excellent vegan food to add to your menu this Good Friday. They have many health benefits. For example, they can help to improve blood sugar levels and ease depression symptoms.
They also contain beta-glucans to help boost immunity. In addition, the high antioxidant levels found in mushrooms help to reduce inflammation.
Plus, mushrooms are the only natural plant source of vitamin D. This vitamin helps to strengthen your bones as well as improve your immunity.
Here are some you can try:
- Cordyceps has been shown to reduce fatigue, boost energy levels, support immune and respiratory health, and alleviate sexual dysfunction.
- Lion’s mane or monkey head mushroom is sweet and neutral tasting, strengthens the 5 vital organs, and promotes digestion.
- Black fungus is high in nutrients like calcium, iron, and vitamins B1, B2 (riboflavin), D, and K. In TCM, it is believed to promote positive emotions and improve liver, lung, and stomach conditions. It can also help avert hemorrhoids, remedy Dryness, encourage blood circulation and reduce cholesterol levels.
- Shiitake mushrooms contain compounds that inhibit the absorption and production of cholesterol in the liver. Research shows that shiitakes lower LDL (“bad”) cholesterol in mice. In addition, another study proves that polysaccharides in shiitakes helped inhibit the growth of leukemia cells.
You can enjoy Cordyceps in soup. Meanwhile, lion’s mane, black fungus, and shiitake mushrooms can be added to stir-fry dishes.
Considered a superfood, the
You can enjoy them as a healthy snack or add them to other vegetarian foods, such as rice, oats, nuts (trail mix), and even fish.
Chinese yam (Shan Yao) is another wonder food that you can easily consume for its nutritional and medicinal benefits. It’s high in polysaccharides and helps improve insulin resistance and obesity.
Meanwhile, sapogenins found in Chinese yams are a key ingredient in formulating creams for healing wounds and reducing skin inflammation. In TCM, the plant is known to:
- Revitalize the Splee
- Replenish fluid to nourish the Lungs and relieve dry cough
- Strengthen the Kidneys to help with frequent urination, enuresis, nocturnal emission, premature ejaculation, and leukorrhea (abnormal vaginal discharge)
How do you plan on celebrating Good Friday this year? Let us know in the comments below.
Share this article on
Was This Article Useful to You?
Want more healthy tips?
Get All Things Health in your mailbox today!