Reviewed by Physician Lim Sock Ling and Dr Angelica L Dumapit on November 2, 2022
8 Best Vitamins And Supplements To Help You Reach Your New Years Resolution
Published | 6 min read
Ready to make 2023 your healthiest year yet? These vitamins and supplements can help you stay on track so you can crush your New Year's resolutions.
Adding vitamins and supplements to your New Year’s resolutions is a great way to
According to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) Physician Lim Sock Ling, “Vitamins and supplements complement your nutritional intake. It’s best to derive these from food, similar to TCM’s concept of ‘medicine thy food and food thy medicine.’ However, supplementing your diet intake with the essentials will benefit your health, based on your dietary preference or the body’s inability to synthesize some minerals.”
Here are the best vitamins and supplements you can take to support your New Year’s resolutions.
Best Vitamins And Supplements For Your Health
If your New Year’s resolution this year is to get healthy or lose weight, these vitamins and supplements may help:
Whole-food vitamins and supplements
A whole-food multivitamin will help ensure that you’re not lacking in any nutrients. In addition to providing vitamins and minerals, many plant-based multivitamins contain antioxidants from superfoods.
If you’re looking to lose weight, then make sure your multivitamin contains adequate amounts of B vitamins, vitamin D, iron and magnesium. Here are some tips from Physician Lim to consider:
- A person on a vegan diet may lack
vitamin B12 as this is primarilyfound in animal sources. Vitamin B12 is needed for the formation of DNA and red blood cells. It also plays a role in cellular metabolism and the development of nerve and brain cells. Look for this in your multivitamin.
- Make sure your vitamin D needs are covered, especially in the winter when you’re less likely to spend time in the sun. Physician Lim notes that a person who does not get exposed to the sun often may lack vitamin D. “A 2011 study found that overweight and obese adults taking calcium and vitamin D supplements lost significantly more stomach fat than people not taking any supplements,” she stated.
- Vegetarians may lack iron as our body absorbs the type of iron found in meat better than the iron that comes from a plant-based source. Low iron levels also reduce your physical endurance and athletic performance, making losing weight from exercising more difficult.
- Magnesium helps control blood glucose. Dietary surveys of people in the United States regularly show that magnesium intakes are too low. “It may be wise to consume magnesium supplements if you seldom eat nuts, seeds, legumes and leafy green vegetables,” stated Physician Lim.
“Jujube has a high fiber content and low-calorie count. A 100-gram serving of dried jujube has 6 grams of dietary fiber and 79 calories. This helps in satisfying your nutritional intake and makes you feel full for a longer time. This will help you prevent additional weight gain.
Goji berries are a superfood that is high in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. They are commonly used to treat vision issues, hypertension, and diabetes. “A study from the University of California, Davis published in 2021 found that various nutrients in goji berries can help slow age-related macular degeneration (AMD), the leading cause of vision loss estimated to affect 170 million people globally,” stated Physician Lim.
“Goji berries have a low glycemic index and contain 16% fiber and 13% protein by weight. Therefore, you will feel full longer and snack less. However, do seek professional advice before consumption as it may interact with warfarin as well as some diabetes and blood pressure drugs,” Physician Lim continued.
According to Physician Lim, “Cordyceps may help to boost athletic performance, benefit Heart health by reducing LDL cholesterol, and keep blood sugar levels within a healthy range by mimicking the action of insulin. Therefore, it is beneficial for diabetes patients. Its antioxidant property also helps in anti-aging (vitality) and improves memory and sexual function. In TCM, it is often used to invigorate the Lungs and Kidneys and is useful in the treatment of asthma.”
Lingzhi is also known as Reishi mushroom.
“Not only is
“Consuming antioxidant-rich food protects cellular components from oxidative damage, which is likely to decrease the risk of mutations and carcinogenesis and also protect immune cells, allowing them to maintain immune surveillance and response. This helps in boosting our immunity. Lingzhi also has the potential to reduce HDL and fatigue levels. Lastly, studies have also found
Bird’s nest is rich in glycoprotein, minerals, and vitamins while its fat content is
“Chinese yam contains diosgenin, which has been found to promote neuron growth and brain function. It is high in fiber and makes you feel full faster, thereby reducing food intake. In addition, it is used in TCM to strengthen the
“Hawthorn fruit is rich in antioxidants, benefits Heart health and lipid profile, lowers blood pressure and aids digestion by increasing metabolism. Studies in fat and cholesterol-induced rodents suggested that hawthorn fruit helps to improve lipid metabolism in the serum, Liver, and adipose tissue, and may potentially reduce lipid storage,” Physician Lim stated.
She cautioned, “However, pregnant women should not consume hawthorn fruit. Those with medical conditions and medications should also consult a professional before consuming hawthorn fruit.”
Vitamins and Supplements Are Just The Beginning
Remember, no matter what your New Year’s resolution is this year, vitamins and supplements are just the beginning. There are many other things you can do to support your health year, starting with adding more TCM to your wellness routine.
“TCM is tailored to an individual’s needs and
For more information about how to holistically support your goals this New Year, seek the professional help of a registered TCM practitioner.
- Organicfacts.net. 2020. 10 Best Benefits Of Jujube
- South China Morning Post. 2022. A handful of goji berries a day keeps the optometrist away: a new study finds the fruit, widely used in Chinese medicine, can improve eye health for the middle-aged.
- Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity. 2019. Goji Berries as a Potential Natural Antioxidant Medicine: An Insight into Their Molecular Mechanisms of Action.
- Herbal Medicine: Biomolecular and Clinical Aspects. 2nd edition. 2019. Chapter 9 Ganoderma lucidum (Linzghi or Reishi)
- Frontiers in Neurology. 2019. Edible Bird’s Nest as a Potential Cognitive Enhancer.
- Semantic Scholar. 2013. Dioscorea alata L. Reduces Body Weight by Reducing Food Intake and Fasting Blood Glucose Level.
- Journal of Medicine Food. 2017. Antiobesity Effects of Sansa (Crataegi fructus) on 3T3-L1 Cells and on High-Fat-High-Cholesterol Diet-Induced Obese Rats.
- The Journal of Nutrition. 2018. Biomarkers of Nutrition for Development (BOND): Vitamin B-12 Review.
Share this article on
Was This Article Useful to You?
Want more healthy tips?
Get All Things Health in your mailbox today!