Knowing These Blood Clot Symptoms Could Save Your Life
Published | 7 min read
Symptoms of a blood clot may include pain in one arm or leg, shortness of breath, and fast heartbeat. Learn other symptoms and how to prevent and resolve them here.
Did you know that one person
Identifying a blood clot in your body could save your life. However, studies show that fewer than one in four people know the symptoms of a blood clot. If an artery becomes blocked, it could lead to a stroke or heart attack. Therefore, paying attention to the signs in your body is the best way to prevent this from happening.
Read on to learn more about how to identify the signs of a blood clot and tips for keeping your arteries healthy to prevent one from happening.
What Is A Blood Clot?
A blood clot is a clump that occurs when blood turns from a liquid to a solid. A thrombus is a blood clot that forms inside one of your arteries or veins. It may also develop in your heart.
An embolus is a thrombus that breaks free and travels from one location of your body to another. A thrombus and embolus can either partly or entirely block your blood flow.
If the blockage occurs in an artery, it may also prevent oxygen from being distributed throughout the area. This is known as ischemia and can lead to tissue damage or death if not treated immediately.
A blockage that occurs in your veins often causes swelling and fluid retention.
Smoking increases your risk of blood clots. They are also more likely to occur after an injury and in people with kidney and liver disease, cancer, and obesity.
Other possible causes may include:
- Pregnancy (during and after)
on prolonged bed rest
- Sitting for long periods of time
- Birth control pills or estrogen hormones
- Long-term use of intravenous catheters
From a Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) perspective, Qi Deficiency, Qi Stagnation, Coldness of the blood, and
Blood Clot Symptoms To Be Aware Of
According to TCM Physician Lim Sock Ling, “From a TCM perspective, if blood circulation is not smooth, one will experience pain. The characteristics of pain due to blood clots are a needling sensation at a fixed area that worsens when pressure is applied or at night. One’s complexion tends to be dull, dry, and black. The lips and nails may appear purplish black and lackluster.
Other possible symptoms may include:
- Swelling in one arm or leg
- Pain or tenderness in one leg, such as a cramp or Charley horse
- Arm or leg that is warm to the touch
- Skin discoloration, usually reddish or bluish
- Varicose veins
Call 911 immediately if you experience the following:
- Rapid onset of shortness of breath
- Fast heartbeat
- Chest pain that feels like a sharp, stabbing pain and gets worse with deep breaths
- Unexplained cough with bloody mucus
Menstrual blood clot symptoms
“Menstrual blood clots are a sign of
To promote menstrual regularity and boost fertility, TCM uses the principle invigorate Kidney qi and regulate Chong and Ren meridians. Acupuncture, moxibustion, and herbs can help to achieve this. In particular, moxibustion is often
“Specifically for blood clots and related menstruation and fertility issues,
In TCM, Bak Foong pills are often used to support fertility, regulate menstruation, and alleviate period pain.
TCM Ways To Resolve Blood Clot
According to Physician Lim,
Acupressure is an easy self-help remedy you can do at home. To perform it effectively, place fingers or a blunt object like a massage stick at certain acupoints and apply an appropriate amount of pressure to elicit a sensation of soreness or tenderness. At the same time, massage in both clockwise and anticlockwise circular motion 20 times each. Repeat for at least 3 minutes per acupoint.
- Dan Zhong (RN 17): Relieves pressure within the thoracic cavity, improves qi and blood circulation to the Heart and Lungs
- He Gu (LI4): Dispels
Qi Stagnation, restores and boosts qi and blood circulation to the Heart and Lungs
- Nei Guan (PC6): This acupoint strengthens the Heart qi, dissipates
Blood Stasis, and restores and boosts blood circulation to the Heart
- Tai Chong (LR3): Soothes Liver to dissipate and dispels
Qi Stagnationand Blood Stasis, restores and boosts qi and blood circulation to the Heart
“Herbs such as
Tips For Recovering From A Blood Clot
TCM can also help if you are recovering from a
Physician Lim stated, “Treatment-wise, we adopt the approach of nourishing blood and removing Wind
The more commonly used herbal formula that benefits post-stroke recovery are:
- Da Qing Jiao soup
- Da Huo Luo Dan
- Xiao Huo Luo Dan
- Bu Yang Huan Wu soup
- Ba Zhen soup
- Di Huang Yin Zi
Patients who have experienced blood clots and are on blood thinners must check with their physicians before beginning any herbal remedy. Some of the remedies listed above may
- National Blood Clot Alliance. Blood Clots in the United States – Blood Clots (stoptheclot.org)
- Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology. 2008. The Epidemiology of Venous Thromboembolism in the Community.
- Penn Medicine. What Are Blood Clots?
- National Blood Clot Alliance. Signs and Symptoms.
- Medicine. 2019. Efficacy and safety of moxibustion in female infertility patients undergoing in vitro fertilization and embryo transfer.
Share this article on
Was This Article Useful to You?
Want more healthy tips?
Get All Things Health in your mailbox today!