Reviewed by Dr Jessica Gunawan on September 22, 2022
Can You Use Chicken Essence In Place Of Chicken Broth?
Published | 4 min read
Essence of chicken has been used for centuries in Traditional Chinese Medicine due to its numerous health benefits. But can you use it in place of chicken broth? Find out here.
You can even sip on it warm like hot tea when you are feeling sick to stay hydrated and nourished.
But what if there were something healthier than chicken broth that you could be using in your recipes?
In many ways,
In this article, we’ll introduce you to chicken essence. You’ll learn what it is, its nutritional value, and how to use it to support your health.
What is the Essence of Chicken?
Essence of chicken is an advanced version of chicken broth. It has undergone a complicated process involving high-temperature extraction, centrifugation, vacuum concentration, and sterilization.
According to Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), chicken is thought to warm the Spleen and stomach. It can also nourish
The health properties of chicken have been lauded for more than 100 years. In China’s Ming Dynasty, black chicken was the main ingredient in Wu Ji Bai Feng pills.
TCM believes the pills help nourish the
Over time, essence of chicken became more practical to suit modern lifestyles. It has become a product known and loved, especially by people in Southeast Asia.
Several studies on essence of chicken have discovered that it contains valuable nutrients such as proteins, vitamins, minerals, trace elements, peptides, amino acids, and many more.
However, the two most important substances are anserine and carnosine. Both compounds are rich in antioxidants, giving the essence of chicken its value.
Health Benefits Of Essence Of Chicken
For generations, essence of chicken has been hailed for its numerous health benefits.
Studies have discovered that it consists of a long list of nutrients. It is why chicken essence for elderly people is especially popular.
Here are some benefits of the essence of chicken:
Improves physical performance
A 2014 study revealed that it can help decrease physical fatigue and injury-related biomarkers. At the same time, it can increase tissue glycogen, an essential energy source.
Fights mental fatigue
Have you ever had difficulty concentrating and solving problems? Are you feeling anxious, easily irritated, or confused? Losing sleep and your interest in everything you like?
You’re probably suffering from mental fatigue. A 2013 study conducted a test on 20 men and concluded that a daily intake of it is effective to recover the effects of mental fatigue.
On another note, pure chicken essence is suitable for children, pregnant women, and postpartum mothers to aid mental fatigue and beyond.
The Essence of Chicken in TCM
With over a century of history in TCM, physicians use this to improve the Spleen and stomach’s digestive function, since the texture is easily absorbed.
TCM also thinks that the essence of chicken can improve
Additionally, physicians usually combine this with other
Chicken Broth vs. Essence Of Chicken
So, since essence of chicken has so many health benefits, should you be using it in place of chicken broth?
The answer depends on how you plan to use it.
On the other hand, chicken broth is commonly added to soups as a base ingredient. It’s not usually consumed as a supplement to your diet.
However, you can absolutely use essence of chicken instead of chicken broth in your favorite recipes. Doing so enriches the nutritional value of your dishes.
The benefits of essence of chicken are far from a myth. In fact, science has provided many reasons why it’s part of a tradition that is passed down for more than 100 years.
From a Ming Dynasty-era medicine to the product we see today, essence of chicken has grown and adapted perfectly to meet the needs of modern people.
- Institute of Food Technologies. 2012. Bioactivities of Chicken Essence
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. 2014. Chicken Essence Improves Exercise Performance and Ameliorates Physical Fatigue
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. 2013. Effects of chicken essence on recovery from mental fatigue in healthy males
- Delune. 2018. How Dong Quai Can Help Relieve Dysmenorrhea & Painful Period Cramps
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. 2020. Polygonum multiflorum extract support hair growth by elongating anagen phase and abrogating the effect of androgen in cultured human dermal papilla cells
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. 2019. American Ginseng (Panax quinquefolium L.) as a Source of Bioactive Phytochemicals with Pro-Health Properties
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. 2019. Chinese herbal formulae for the treatment of menopausal hot flushes: A systematic review and meta-analysis
- Espacenet. 2012. Chinese Yam Flour
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. 2011. Examining Brain-Cognition Effects of Ginkgo Biloba Extract: Brain Activation in the Left Temporal and Left Prefrontal Cortex in an Object Working Memory Task
Share this article on
Was This Article Useful to You?
Want more healthy tips?
Get All Things Health in your mailbox today!