Do you give off a lot of body
In Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), a heaty body type stems from both internal and external factors. It could make you prone to certain health ailments.
Take this short quiz to identify the potential risk factors and learn how natural remedies can help regulate your body temperature.
How To Reduce Body Heat
The symptoms of a heaty body can develop progressively or suddenly and may include:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Muscle cramps
- Heavy sweating during a workout
- Cool, moist skin when exposed to sunlight
- Ulcer or canker sores
If you’re in a hot or humid environment and are experiencing any of these symptoms, move to a cooler space immediately. It’s also important to hydrate with water or a sports beverage.
Additionally, a few natural remedies may help reduce your internal body heat pronto.
Drinking coconut water can bring down your temperature almost immediately. It also provides a multitude of vitamins and minerals to maintain good health, such as potassium, electrolytes, calcium, and magnesium.
In TCM, it is a yin cooling food and is beneficial for those who suffer from excessive Heat.
A daily serving of coconut water during hot weather provides hydratio
A powder, soap, or skin cream containing sandalwood can be used topically to achieve a cooling effect on the body.
Basil, fenugreek, coriander, and flaxseeds can be eaten to lower body temperature.
- Basil seeds must be soaked in water before mixing with milk and rose water.
- Fenugreek seeds can be eaten raw or steeped overnight in water.
- Coriander seeds have the added benefits of ensuring healthy digestion and calming inflammation.
- Flaxseeds may also help to control blood pressure, support healthy weight loss, and relieve constipation.
Body-cooling foods are integral to your efforts to keep cool during hot weather. Examples of these include various fruits and vegetables, such as:
- Aloe ver
- Bitter gourd
- Chinese cabbage
- Fresh curd
- White radish
- Winter melon
However, TCM cautions that eating too many cold or cool-natured foods can damage a woman’s uterus and ovaries.
The prolonged eating of these can result in Cold coagulation and Blood Stasis. While you should eat cooling foods in moderation, try to avoid heaty foods that are oily, spicy, or fried.
Other Ways To Cool A Heaty Body
In TCM, leading a fast-paced life is cited as the primary cause of excess Heat in the body. This theory is similar to the clinical point of view that too much adrenaline and cortisol can provoke inflammation onset.
Long-term stress can lead to
Likewise, the accumulation of phlegm and Heat in the body will obstruct the functions of the organs of perception: the mouth, nose, tongue, ears, and eyes.
To treat this, a licensed TCM practitioner may prescribe herbal remedies and acupuncture treatment that help to:
- Dispel phlegm and Heat
- Replenish blood, moisture, and jing (essence) to regulate yang (active energy) production
Herbal infusions or ingredients
A hot cup of chrysanthemum flower tea can also help alleviate Heat from the chest and Heart and improve eye and skin health.
Herbal remedies like Yin Qiao powder and Sang Ju powder can disperse Wind-Heat. Meanwhile, you can take an herbal heat expulsion supplement to help cool a hearty body.
Acupuncture treatment can help relieve the symptoms of a heaty body.
Multiple acupoints on the body can be targeted to achieve symptomatic relief. Examples of these are:
- Qu Chi (LI11): Helps relieve fever; clears skin rash
- He Gu (LI4): Helps relieve headaches and red and dry eyes
Ze(PC3): Helps treat a heatstroke
- Shao Fu (HT8): Relieves excessive thirst, tongue ulcers, or a sore throat
Recognizing and treating the signs of a heaty body early can prevent permanent damage to your health.
Traditional remedies may address your condition holistically but do speak to a licensed practitioner before self-medicating.
If this quiz has helped you understand the effects of excessive body heat, share it with your loved ones!
This is an adaptation of an article called “Are you an ice beauty?” that first appeared on Health 123’s website.
- First Response Healthcare. 2019. 19 Instant Ways to Reduce Body Heat Naturally.
- Chinese Medicine Works. 2016. Turns out, some don’t like it hot.
- CHRISTINA WALLACE. 2019. Beat the Summer Heat with Traditional Chinese Medicine!
- Healing with Zen. 2018. Acupressure To Clear Heat & Cool The Body.
Share this article on
Was This Article Useful to You?
Want more healthy tips?
Get All Things Health in your mailbox today!