Is Estrogen Dominance Causing Your Weight Gain?
Published | 8 min read
Estrogen is a necessary hormone that is responsible for cardiovascular health, reproductive health, and more. But too much may be impacting your ability to lose weight. Learn how to correct estrogen dominance here.
Estrogen dominance occurs when there is an imbalance in the body’s estrogen to progesterone ratios.
Higher than normal levels of estrogen may lead to several
If you’ve been struggling to keep the weight off despite a healthy diet and exercise regimen, then you may want to have your estrogen levels checked.
In this guide, we’ll explain what estrogen dominance is and how to use natural therapies to help correct this hormonal imbalance.
What Is Estrogen Dominance?
Estrogen dominance goes by several other names, including high estrogen and unopposed estrogen. It occurs when the body does not produce enough progesterone, leading to higher than normal levels of estrogen in the body.
Normally, progesterone and estrogen work together to create a balancing effect on the body. When estrogen levels become too high, it may increase the risk of several unwanted complications, such as cell overgrowth, tumors in the uterine, and reproductive problems.
High levels of stress may also lead to high levels of estrogen. Research shows that producing high amounts of cortisol in response to stress immediately increases the body’s estrogen levels. Drinking too much alcohol or having liver complications may also impair the body’s ability to break down and clear estrogen.
Lastly, exposure to synthetic xenoestrogens may increase estrogens in the body. Xenoestrogens are chemicals that act like estrogen once they get inside your body. They can be found in various plastic products, household cleaning products, some shampoos, and pesticides.
The most common symptoms may include irregular or heavy periods and breast tenderness. Here are some other signs of estrogen dominance that may occur:
- Weight gain
- Mood swings and irritability
- Decreased sex drive
- Worsening PMS symptoms
- Memory or concentration problems
- Reproductive or fertility problems
- Erectile dysfunction (ED) in men
Estrogen Dominance, According To TCM
According to Registered TCM Physician Brandon Yew, it may be caused by drug or substance abuse, pre-existing chronic medical conditions, and the prolonged usage of certain medications. Other possible causes include work stress, poor work-life/rest balance,
“These factors cause the formation and accumulation of pathogenic factors like Heat, Dampness, Phlegm, sluggish Blood flow,
Does Estrogen Dominance Cause Weight Gain?
Most women start to notice weight gain around their middle section during pre-menopause or menopause when progesterone levels first start to drop off.
Without adequate amounts of progesterone in the body to balance estrogen levels, a surplus of estrogen may occur.
The condition can be worsened if you already have elevated amounts of adipose tissue (fatty tissue). This is because adipose tissue secretes estrogen, creating more of an imbalance in hormone ratios.
Exposure to synthetic xenoestrogens may also increase your risk of obesity. According to one study, estrogen exposure is known to cause weight gain among women due to thyroid inhibition and modulation of the hypothalamus.
How Can TCM Reduce Estrogen Dominance?
TCM can help reduce estrogen dominance and restore hormone levels through herbal medication, acupuncture,
Physician Yew stated, “All of these treatment methods are formulated carefully by the TCM physician to address specifically the unique body constitution of every individual patient.
Below listed are some TCM herbal formulations to help restore hormone levels:
Xiang Sha Liu Jun Zi: Strengthens Spleen Qi and dispels Dampness, Phlegm, and Stagnated Qi
- Cang Fu Dao Tan Wan: Promotes Spleen Qi circulation to dispel Dampness, Phlegm and Stagnated Qi
- Chai Hu Shu Gan San: Dispels Dampness, Phlegm, and Stagnated Qi
- Dan Zhi Xiao Yao San: Dispels Heat, Dampness, Blood Clots, and Stagnated Qi; strengthens Spleen Qi; replenishes Blood and Yin to nourish and soothe the Liver
- Wu Ling San: Dispels Dampness and Stagnated Fluids
- Ling Gui Zhu Gan Tang: Strengthens Spleen
Qito restore and enhance fluid circulation, dispelling Dampness and Stagnated Fluids
- Gui Zhi Fu Ling Wan: Dispels Heat, Dampness, Blood Clots, and Stagnated Fluids
- Ji Sheng Shen Qi Wan: Regenerates Kidney Yang to restore and enhance fluid circulation, dispelling Dampness and Stagnated Fluids
Bak Foong pills are often used in TCM to help regulate hormone levels to ease symptoms of PMS and other complications related to high estrogen levels. Meanwhile, a slimming essence drink may help reduce bloating and weight gain in the abdominal area.
“Please always bear in mind that the herbal formulas provided above are meant for varying
He GuLI4 (dispels Heat, Dampness, Phlegm, Stagnated Qi, and Blood Clots)
- Zhong Wan RN12 (alleviates Dampness, Phlegm, and Stagnated Qi; helps with trunk weight gain)
- Tian Shu ST25 (dispels Dampness, Phlegm, and Stagnated Qi; helps with trunk weight gain)
- Da Heng SP15 (dispels Dampness, Phlegm and Stagnated Qi; helps with trunk weight gain)
- Shui Dao ST28 (dispels Dampness, Phlegm, Stagnated Qi, and Fluids; helps with trunk weight gain)
- Guan Yuan RN4 (revitalizes Kidney Qi and Yang to dispel Dampness, Phlegm, Blood Clots, Stagnated Qi, and Fluids; helps with trunk weight gain)
- Qi Hai RN6 (revitalizes Kidney Qi and Yang to dispel Dampness, Phlegm, Blood Clots, Stagnated Qi, and Fluids; helps with trunk weight gain)
- Jing Men GB25 (dispels Dampness, Phlegm, and Stagnated Qi; helps with trunk weight gain)
- Dai Mai GB26 (dispels Dampness, Phlegm, and Stagnated Qi; helps with trunk weight gain)
- Zu San Li ST36 (strengthens Spleen Qi to dispel Dampness, Phlegm, and Stagnated Qi and Fluids)
Yin Ling QuanSP9 (strengthens Spleen Qi to dispel Dampness, Phlegm, and Stagnated Fluids)
- Shang Juxu ST37 (dispels Dampness, Phlegm, and Stagnated Qi and Fluids)
- Xia Ju Xu ST39 (dispels Dampness, Phlegm, and Stagnated Qi and Fluids)
- San Yin Jiao SP6 (strengthens Spleen Qi, revitalizes Liver and Kidneys; dispels Dampness and Stagnated Fluids)
- Tai Xi KI3 (revitalizes Kidneys and dispels Stagnated Fluids)
- Tai Chong LR3 (revitalizes and soothes Liver to dispel Blood Clots, Stagnated Qi and Fluids)
Physician Yew recommended, “Do take note that acupressure provides very mild symptomatic relief and is insufficient in tackling the actual
1. Cleveland Clinic. 2022. High Estrogen.
3. Plos One. 2014. The Estrogen Hypothesis of Obesity.
Share this article on