6 Hollywood Celebrities Who Swear by Traditional Chinese Medicine
Published | 6 min read
Some Hollywood celebrities support the use of alternative medicine. Discover how TCM treatments and herbal remedies have helped treat their health concerns.
Hollywood celebrities adhere to many unwritten guidelines to keep up with their celebrity status and life in the fast lane. Being in the spotlight also puts pressure on them to constantly look and feel their best. In addition to strict diets and workout routines, some famous faces have turned to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) to keep them healthy and address various concerns.
Find out which Hollywood celebrities use TCM and how you can benefit from these natural treatments too.
- Feng chi (GB20, 风池)
- Tai chong (LR3, 太沖)
- Nei guan (PC6, 内关)
- Shan zhong (CV-RN17, 膻中)
- Yin tang (EX-HN3, 印堂)
A number of herbal ingredients may be considered to calm the shen (mind) by nourishing the Heart. These include:
- Poria (fu ling, 茯苓)
- American ginseng (hua qi shen, 花旗参)
- Longan fruit (long yan rou, 龙眼肉)
- Biota seeds (bai zi ren, 柏子仁)
- Lily bulbs (bai he, 百合)
- Oyster shells (mu li, 牡蛎)
- Chinese Magnolia-vine fruit (wu wei zi, 五味子)
- Thin-leaf Milkwort root (yuan zhi, 远志)
Famed singer Celine Dion went through five unsuccessful cycles of in-vitro fertilisation (IVF) treatment before she was introduced to an acupuncturist named Dr Aina Zhang. Shortly after her sixth IVF cycle, it was reported that she had successfully conceived her twin sons, Eddy and Nelson.
TCM believes the Kidneys and Liver play critical roles during pregnancy.
“The Kidneys are responsible for storing jing (essence) and are directly linked to a woman’s reproductive system. The Chong Mai and Ren Mai vessels support reproduction by distributing jing to all body parts and regulating blood and energy in the uterus. As such, women should take steps to nourish blood and jing, warm Kidney qi, and regulate blood, qi, and the Chong Mai and Ren Mai vessels,” explains TCM Physician Lim Sock Ling.
Some herbal remedies that encourage ovulation are:
- Si Wu soup (四物汤)
- Er Zhi pills (二至丸)
- Wen Shen An Tai soup (温肾安胎汤) and Shou Tai pills (寿胎丸): These can be taken on the day of the embryo transfer procedure for IVF
Acupuncture can also help women relax and boost blood flow to their reproductive organs. Consequently, it’ll improve ovary follicle development and the quality of the eggs (ovum) produced. The points that an acupuncturist may work on are:
- Shen men (HT7, 神门)
- Nei guan (PC6, 內关)
- Guan yuan (RN4, 关元)
- Qi hai (RN6, 气海)
- San yin jiao (SP6, 三阴交)
The Netflix series The Goop Lab and its executive producer, Gwyneth Paltrow,
Ultimately, Gwyneth is an advocate of TCM and has undergone acupuncture and cupping therapy. She also brews and drinks
Meghan Markle, the Duchess of Sussex
Crippling migraines that required her to be hospitalised used to be the bane of Meghan Markle’s existence. Thankfully, she found acupuncture and cupping therapy, and has been living a migraine-free life ever since.
The Duchess of Sussex also used acupuncture to relax and improve blood flow during her pregnancy with her son, Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor.
Normally, the pain can stem from minor injury or strain due to prolonged sitting or sleeping in an awkward posture, sports injuries, or a sudden fall. In TCM, neck stiffness is associated with internal imbalances such as Cold, Dampness, Stagnation and Deficiencies.
To relieve the discomfort, a licensed TCM practitioner may recommend using gua sha, acupuncture, cupping, or tuina. The acupoints that can help regulate body constitutions are
Robert Downey Jr.
Like all the other celebrities on this list, Robert Downey Jr. is also a fan of TCM. However, he’s the only one who’s actually been presented with an award – the Robert Graham Visionary Award – for upholding the system of medicine.
But that’s not to say he isn’t deserving of the accolade. After all, he has come a long way from being a drug addict since the tender age of eight. Today, he lives a healthier lifestyle, which includes using acupuncture and herbal remedies and the practice of
As Downey aptly put it, “It’s contributed to making me a more tolerable father, son, husband, co-worker, and according to the title of this award, visionary.”
TCM is a proven system for maintaining good health through internal equilibrium, as these Hollywood celebrities can attest to. If you are thinking of following in their footsteps, it’s best to speak to a licensed practitioner beforehand. Proper guidance will ensure that you reap the benefits of incorporating TCM into your life without experiencing contraindications.
- DAO LABS. 2019. 4 WAYS TO USE CHINESE MEDICINE LIKE A CELEBRITY. [online] [Accessed on 5 December 2022]
- Eu Yan Sang. Stress From The TCM Perspective. [online] [Accessed on 5 December 2022]
- All Things Health. 2022. Considering IVF Treatment? These Success Stories Can Help You Decide. [online] [Accessed on 5 December 2022]
- Wikipedia. The Goop Lab. [online] [Accessed on 5 December 2022]
- ACUFINDER.COM. Cupping: How Gwyneth Paltrow Got Her Spots. [online] [Accessed on 5 December 2022]
- MailOnline. Gwyneth Paltrow turns to acupuncture to heal herself – and says those ‘many little needles have helped her through many an ailment’. [online] [Accessed on 5 December 2022]
- HELLO! Meghan Markle’s ‘debilitating’ hidden illness she was hospitalised with. [online] [Accessed on 5 December 2022]
- AcuMedic. MEGHAN MARKLE USED ACUPUNCTURE TO DELIVER THE NEW ROYAL BABY. [online] [Accessed on 5 December 2022]
- HealthCMi. 2013. Acupuncture Revived From Cutting Room Floor In Iron Man 3. [online] [Accessed on 5 December 2022]
Share this article on
Was This Article Useful to You?
Want more healthy tips?
Get All Things Health in your mailbox today!