Do Collagen Supplements Really Keep Your Skin Youthful?
Published | 4 min read
While many studies have found that collagen supplements work, the jury's still out on whether they’re the most effective for keeping your skin supple and youthful.
If you’re a fan of all things beauty and skincare, you’re likely familiar with the hype surrounding collagen supplements and skincare. You can find collagen products in pills, powders, and ready-to-drink beverages. They claim to boost skin elasticity, smoothen out wrinkles, and increase blood flow to the skin, but do they live up to all the hype? Research says yes, they do.
Randomised trials provided convincing evidence that collagen supplements enhance skin hydration and elasticity and reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
A separate systematic review also came to the same conclusion and found that such products could also accelerate wound healing.
Unfortunately, your skin’s collagen production will eventually slow as you age. To add, there are several factors that can make it difficult for your body to produce protein.
Discover what these factors are and alternative remedies that may help maintain skin youth as you age.
Factors That Impair Your Body’s Natural Collagen Production
Below are some factors that keep your body producing collagen. Some of these are within your control:
- Age: Collagen levels will drop by 1% annually, between your late teenage years and early twenties.
- Stress: Chronic stress increases cortisol levels, which can decrease collagen production.
- Genetics: Your genetic makeup plays a role in determining the natural rate of collagen production in your body.
- Ultraviolet (UV) radiation: Prolonged exposure to UV rays can alter the cells that make collagen and give life to free radicals that cause oxidative stress.
- Smoking: The harmful chemicals in tobacco smoke restrict oxygen delivery to skin tissue. It impairs the regeneration process and can lead to tissue damage and death.
- Inflammatory diets: Eating too much sugar, refined carbohydrates, and processed meats can activate your immune system and trigger inflammation. This delays the healing of damaged skin cells, weakens the skin’s barrier and causes premature skin ageing.
Alternative Remedies to Collagen Supplements That Help Preserve Skin Health
Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) believes that your external appearance reflects your overall health.
For example, abundant blood and qi (vital life force) will help nourish and moisturise your skin. For these reasons, Physician Goh recommends using ginseng (ren shen, 人参) and Astragalus root (huang qi, 黄芪) to increase qi levels, and Chinese dates (da zao, 大枣) and Chinese Angelica (dang gui, 当归) to promote healthy blood circulation.
Peach gum resin
Packed with nutrients and antioxidants,
- Improve digestion
- Support heart health
- Protect against skin damage
- Lower your risk of certain types of cancer
- Reduce allergy symptoms
- Boost your immune system
- Boost metabolism and muscle growth
- Maintain bone and joint health
- Lowering your risk of heart disease
- Strengthening your immune system
- Improving brain health and skin complexion
- Keeping your blood sugar level under control
- Demonstrating antioxidative and anti-inflammatory properties
Apart from keeping you healthy,
During the treatment, an acupuncturist will stick tiny needles into your skin to create micro-trauma. This encourages your body to generate new skin cells, which improves your skin’s appearance and health.
Acupuncture can also help stimulate sections of the face (also known as meridians) that connect to your internal organ systems. The treatment promotes a positive flow
Thinking of giving
Before you self-medicate, seek the advice of a licensed TCM practitioner to learn which options suit your personal needs best. If you found these recommendations useful, share them with your loved ones, pronto.
- Cedars Sinai. 2020. Collagen for Your Skin: Healthy or Hype? [online] [Accessed 8 February 2023]
- NASM. DO COLLAGEN SUPPLEMENTS WORK? HERE’S WHAT THE SCIENCE SAYS. [online] [Accessed 8 February 2023]
- MindBodyGreen. 2021. 6 Reasons Collagen Declines + How To Support It Naturally. [online] [Accessed 8 February 2023]
- LEARNSKIN. TRADITIONAL CHINESE MEDICINE PRIMER. [online] [Accessed 8 February 2023]
Share this article on
Was This Article Useful to You?
Want more healthy tips?
Get All Things Health in your mailbox today!