Read on to understand how and why it transpires and treatment options that can restore skin health and appearance.
What are the Risk Factors of Tinea Versicolor?
The primary risk factors of tinea versicolor are warm, moist, or oily environments. It can cause an overgrowth of Malassezia spp yeast on the skin’s surface. A hormonal imbalance and weakened immune system can also make a person vulnerable to the condition’s onset.
It’ll lead to a crusted rash on body parts that frequently
To the untrained eye, however, tinea versicolor can be mistaken for other skin conditions, including:
- Nummular eczema
Tinea versicolor is a fungal infection while psoriasis is an autoimmune condition. The latter condition is incurable, but the former typically resolves a few days after treatment. A clear patch of skin is visible in the middle of a ringworm rash spot, but psoriatic skin lacks the feature.
Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) believes that
Like psoriasis, vitiligo is an autoimmune skin disease. It destroys the cells (melanocytes) that produce melanin, the pigment that gives a person’s skin colour.
TCM classifies the reasons behind vitiligo as negative
He adds, “It’ll also happen if Wind penetrates the skin, blocking and stagnating the meridians. A Deficiency of Kidney and Liver Yin will result in malnourished blood in the skin, triggering an onset of vitiligo.”
Skin redness and wheals
According to TCM,
Tinea versicolor is a contagious condition, but nummular eczema isn’t. Nummular eczema can also be seen as multiple skin patches. These can happen within weeks after experiencing a traumatic injury, burns or bites.
The treatment regimen for the condition may take up to a year, though it can recur if it doesn’t heal completely. In extreme situations, it can scar or darken the affected skin area.
TCM differentiates the occurrence of eczema into three types:
- Internal accumulation of Damp-Heat
- Blood Deficiency and excessive Wind
- Spleen Deficiency and excessive Dampness
How Do Healthcare Providers Identify Tinea Versicolor?
A clinical specialist will perform skin tests to diagnose tinea versicolor. One of these involves scraping off loose skin cells and examining them under a microscope. The presence of yeast is an indicator of the condition.
Alternatively, the skin can also be examined with a Wood’s lamp. The device uses ultraviolet rays to illuminate different areas of the skin. If the skin shows up a yellowish-green shade, it’s another clear sign of tinea versicolor.
Treatment of Tinea Versicolor
You can purchase antifungal creams, lotions or shampoos from a pharmacy without a prescription. Yes, you read that right; antifungal shampoos. Examples of these are:
- Zinc pyrithione shampoo
- Selenium-based dandruff shampoo
The primary mode of action of these remedies is to kill or stop fungus growth. Doing so will ensure complete recovery and lower the risk of re-infection. A healthcare provider may also prescribe topical options like ketoconazole or ciclopirox, or oral medications like fluconazole and itraconazole for severe symptoms.
The alternative approach to treating tinea versicolor focuses on expelling toxins and clearing Heat and Dampness. To achieve these objectives, a licensed TCM practitioner will propose herbal formulas like Long Dan Xie Gan (龙胆泻肝) decoction, Jing Fang Bai Du (荆防败毒) powder, and Qu Feng Huan Fu (祛风唤肤) pills.
Cleansing the skin’s surface with herbal pastes helps with soothing and treating the condition. Individual herbal ingredients to be considered include:
- Chrysanthemum (ju hua, 菊花)
- Honeysuckle flower (jin yin hua, 金银花)
- Purslane (ma chi xian, 马齿苋)
- Belvedere fruit (di fu zi, 地肤子)
- Falsestarwort root (
tai zi shen, 太子参)
- Pittany root-bark (bai xian pi, 白鲜皮)
- Stemona root (bai bu, 百部)
Common Cnidium fruit (she chuang zi, 蛇床子)
Topical and oral solutions are key to providing holistic treatment o
- MyHEALTH. RINGWORM (TINEA VERSICOLOR). [online] [Accessed 4 August 2022]
- MyHEALTH. TINEA CORPORIS. [online] [Accessed 4 August 2022]
- Cleveland Clinic. 2022. Is It Psoriasis or Ringworm? [online] [Accessed 4 August 2022]
- All Things Health. 2021. Psoriasis Treatment: Remedies to Alleviate This Autoimmune Condition. [online] [Accessed 4 August 2022]
- eMedicineHealth. What Is the Difference Between Tinea Versicolor and Vitiligo? [online] [Accessed 4 August 2022]
- Relias Media. Not All Round Rashes Are Ringworm: A Differential Diagnosis of Annular and Nummular Lesions. [online] [Accessed 4 August 2022]
- Asiaone. 2014. Find out how TCM can help ease hives. [online] [Accessed 4 August 2022]
- MedicineNet. 2022. Nummular Eczema vs. Ringworm: Differences. [online] [Accessed 4 August 2022]
- ScienceDirect. 2021. Use of specific acupuncture techniques in lingering nummular eczema: A case report. [online] [Accessed 4 August 2022]
- Cleveland Clinic. Tinea Versicolor. [online] [Accessed 4 August 2022]
- HealthNetCafe. Common Skin Diseases. [online] [Accessed 4 August 2022]
Share this article on