Improve Sexual Performance: How to Increase Stamina in 6 Simple Steps
Published | 7 min read
A Year of the Rabbit child is auspicious. Learning how to increase stamina can improve your chances of conceiving before this year ends.
Chinese culture believes the rabbit is the luckiest of the 12 zodiac animals. As the sign represents longevity in Chinese mythology, the Rabbit child is graced with good fortune and happiness.
If you’re looking to conceive in time for a baby to be born in the Year of the Rabbit, but finding that you and your partner are having waned interests in sex, find out how to increase stamina in the bedroom and restore intimacy to your relationship..
Read on to prepare yourself physically and mentally before trying for a child born in the Year of the Rabbit.
The Causes of Low Libido in Men and Women
There are many possible reasons for having a low sex drive in men and women. Causes could be medical or be due to lifestyle factors.
A medical cause could be lowered male libido due to chronic kidney disease as extra energy is required to cope with physical and emotional changes. Being under medication will make it difficult for men to have or maintain an erection.
Men who’ve received a kidney transplant should wait until their scar starts healing before having sex.
Mental health disorders like anxiety, depression, work-related stress and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) can also reduce libido levels in both genders. Anxiety attacks elevate cortisol – a stress hormone in the human body – levels, suppressing libido. Depression destabilises neurotransmitters, which are chemicals in the brain that communicate with the brain and reproductive organs. This also minimises libido.
Lifestyle factors such as excessive alcohol consumption, smoking, and use of recreational drugs, too, may contribute to a loss of libido.
In Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), it’s believed that a strong, healthy body equates to sexual vitality.
“A stressful work environment and unhealthy eating practices can provoke body constitution imbalances that impair sexual vitality. These include Cold, Dampness, Damp-Heat, Blood and Kidney Deficiencies, Liver Stagnation, Blood Stasis, and Spleen-Deficiency-Induced Phlegm,” explains Real Health Medical’s Senior Physician Brandon Yew.
How to Increase Stamina? Try These Tips
A holistic approach to treating low libido can how to increase stamina in the bedroom. In TCM, there isn’t a one-formula-fits-all remedy for the latter. Rather, personalised regimens for each unique body constitution are recommended.
Get up and move!
Improving your fitness is one of the best ways to increase stamina. Spend a minimum of 150 minutes performing aerobic exercises weekly. It strengthens the heart, enabling you to participate in physical activities like sex for longer.
Strength and conditioning exercises are good for the health of the muscles and joints. It’ll also help you look and feel better, making you feel more confident in the bedroom. Aim for two training sessions a week.
Take prescription medications
To correct erectile dysfunction, a healthcare provider will prescribe oral medications. These include sildenafil (popularly known as Viagra), avanafil, tadalafil, and vardenafil. Please remember that these must be taken strictly under a physician’s guidance. Women with vaginal dryness may choose to use a genital lubricant.
Antidepressants can alleviate the symptoms of PTSD, depression, and generalised anxiety disorder. It’s thought that the medication increases serotonin and noradrenaline neurotransmitters in the brain, uplifting mood.
Consult a healthcare provider to find the right medication and dosage for you. Bupropion, mirtazapine, nefazodone, and vilazodone are some of the antidepressants that are less likely to affect your libido negatively.
Undergo hormone replacement therapy
The primary mode of action of hormone replacement therapy (HRT) is to replenish a decline in oestrogen levels. It can help relieve symptoms caused by the decline, such as loss of libido and vaginal dryness. Vaginal dryness resulting in painful sex is a huge turn-off for women.
However, HRT may not be suitable for women who:
- Are pregnant
- Have liver disease
- Have uncontrolled high blood pressure
- Have a history of blood clots
- Have a history of breast, womb, or ovarian cancer
HRT comes in multiple forms, including gels, rings, tablets, vaginal creams, and skin patches. Consult your doctor to know if you are eligible to receive HRT and the best therapy for you.
Sign up for cognitive behavioural therapy
Behavioural therapy focuses on understanding how current life events and cognitive and psychosocial factors provoke the onset of depression. In severe cases, it may be combined with the use of antidepressants.
The regimen usually spans between five to 20 sessions, for an hour each. They will see you breaking down your problems into thoughts, feelings, and actions.
These will be analysed before a healthcare provider proposes an action plan. The primary goal will be to change unimportant thoughts and behaviours.
Likewise, counselling and sex education may be helpful for couples who don’t suffer from any underlying mental health conditions.
Compliment clinical treatment with
herbal formulas and ingredients
Various herbs can be used to improve libido. Examples of these are:
- Cordyceps (dong chong xia cao, 冬虫夏草)
- Panax ginseng (ren shen, 人参)
- Actinolite (yang qi shi, 阳起石)
- Cistanche (rou cong rong, 肉苁蓉)
- Fluoritum (zi shi ying, 紫石英)
- Maca (ma ka, 玛卡)
- Circuligo rhizome (xian mao, 仙茅)
- Fenugreek seed (hu lu ba, 葫芦巴 )
- Chinese leek seed (jiu cai zi , 韭菜籽)
- Horny goat weed (yin yang huo, 淫羊藿)
- Indian mulberry root (ba ji tian, 巴戟天)
- Malaytea scurfpea fruit (bu gu zhi, 补骨脂)
- Songaria cynomorium (suo yang, 锁阳)
Physician Yew cautions, “OTC remedies can only help treat the common causes of a decreased libido. If you’ve been diagnosed with an underlying condition or unhealthy body constitution
Give your body a little nudge
Acupuncture point stimulation can benefit your sexual health. The points that may induce a positive effect are shen men (HT7, 神门) san yin jiao (SP6, 三阴交), tai xi (KI3, 太溪), tai chong (LR3, 太沖), nei guan (PC6, 內关), guan yuan (RN4, 关元), and qi hai (RN6, 气海).
To perform acupressure, place your fingers or a massage stick on a point and apply enough pressure to elicit numbness or a sore sensation. Massage them 20 times in a circular, clockwise and anti-clockwise motion. Repeat a minimum of three minutes per point.
Early preparation can ensure you’re physically and mentally primed to try for a child born in the Year of the Rabbit. Adhering to the abovementioned steps on how to increase stamina in the bedroom may help. If you wish to use alternative treatment options, do speak to a TCM practitioner beforehand.
- The Chinese Zodiac. Rabbit. [online] [Accessed 15 August 2022]
- MSD Manual. 2022. Decreased Libido in Men. [online] [Accessed 15 August 2022]
- NATIONAL KIDNEY FOUNDATION. Sexuality and Kidney Transplant. [online] [Accessed 15 August 2022]
- Geisinger. 2021. Where’d my libido go? 4 causes of low sex drive in women. [online] [Accessed 15 August 2022]
- Healthdirect. Loss of male libido. [online] [Accessed 15 August 2022]
- Healthywomen. 2020. Is Anxiety Ruining Your Sex Life? [online] [Accessed 15 August 2022]
- Cleveland Clinic. Depression and Sex. [online] [Accessed 15 August 2022]
- Hims. 2021. How To Increase Sexual Stamina. [online] [Accessed 15 August 2022]
- Harvard Health Publishing. 2022. Which drug for erectile dysfunction? [online] [Accessed 15 August 2022]
- National Health Service. Vaginal dryness. [online] [Accessed 15 August 2022]
- National Health Service. Hormone replacement therapy (HRT). [online] [Accessed 15 August 2022]
- Counselling Directory. 2020. Depression and low libido. [online] [Accessed 15 August 2022]
- National Health Service. Overview – Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). [online] [Accessed 15 August 2022]
- National Library of Medicine. 2014. The Effect of Education on Sexual Health of Women with Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder: A Randomized Controlled Trial. [online] [Accessed 15 August 2022]
Share this article on
Was This Article Useful to You?
Want more healthy tips?
Get All Things Health in your mailbox today!